Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Kisses from God.

Today was a one of the days along this journey that I have been dreading. This morning I was going about my day, trying to ignore the obvious. Hair kept falling out, tickling my nose and arms, making a mess every where I settled, and I kept trying to persevere. I did what I often do when I am frustrated, I went for a walk. I didn't even get five houses away when I texted Mason, I knew he was in a meeting but asked him if he could talk. He offered to leave the meeting, asking what was wrong. I spoke female code to him, which he is getting very good at after almost 29 years of being married to me, and he came home as soon as his meeting was over. Madi cut my hair short with scissors, and Mason used the electric hair trimmers to get it really short. Then, per the instructions we found on the internet, I took a very long shower to soften the hair folicles, and my sweet husband very tenderly shaved my head. This is a very technical description because that is how I had to address this as it all began. Mason said as he was shaving my head, a task that was neither quick nor easy, that it was not on his bucket list but he now considered it worthy. It was one of the most tender moments in our marriage. As the covering of my hair was peeled away Mason found scars, some I had stories for and others I did not. I can't explain how this one little thing deepened my relationship with my husband, but I have to say that while going through all of this was not on my bucket list either, I am thankful for having him to share this with. Tonight we went to the MRO fundraiser where I received even more blessings. I met a woman who is on a very similar journey, she is a few months ahead of me. I have met so many women who have been touched by this horrible disease, and they are always a special blessing to me. She will become a special friend, I am sure. Then Newsong did a concert. One of the singers shared a beautiful story of he and his wife's journey through cancer. She was told that there was not much hope and he shared a crazy story of how God surrounded them with their church family, of the pain of watching his wife go through all of the horrors of this disease and its treatment, and of his anger at God. He spoke of that crazy place of being mad at God yet knowing that He was their only hope and crying out to him in praise because he knew he had to. Needless to say, Mason and I sobbed through his whole story and the praise song that followed. Powerful as only God could be. We got to meet him after and shared our story. I told him about our day, he looked at Mason and said the joy of shaving your wife's head is a special one that only a few had the privilege of understanding. I told him how special the moment that I had so dreaded was, and that ending this day with an incredible time of worship was such a gift. He said that his wife finished her last treatment two years ago last January, and is cancer free. They have come to call cancer their evil friend because of all of the blessings and lessons they learned in the process. Today, he said, was a "kiss from God", and that there will be many more kisses even in the dark days that will come along this journey. The verse he shared with me that became his wife's life verse is Proverbs 31:25 "Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." Once again, I am reminded of all that I have and that He is my exceedingly great reward. I am thankful for the kiss from God today.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this stunning portrait of God's grace... Words can't begin to capture what you've shown us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness you have me sobbing! I cannot bring any words to express my emotions. But thank you sooo much for sharing your tender and intimate moments with us! "God often sends us trials that our graces may be discovered, and that we may be certified of their existence. Besides it is not merely discovery, real growth in grace is the the result of sanctified trials." C.H. Spurgeon

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Tiffany Griggs:

    Jesus Bring the Rain

    I can count a million times
    People asking me how I
    Can praise You with all that
    I've gone through
    The question just amazes me
    Can circumstances possibly
    Change who I forever am in You

    Maybe since my life was changed
    Long before these rainy days
    It's never really ever crossed my mind
    To turn my back on you, oh Lord
    My only shelter from the storm
    But instead I draw closer through these times
    So I pray

    Bring me joy, bring me peace
    Bring the chance to be free
    Bring me anything that brings
    You glory And I know there'll
    be days When this life brings me pain
    But if that's what it takes to
    praise You Jesus, bring the rain

    I am yours regardless of the clouds that may
    loom above because you are much greater than
    my pain you who made a way for me suffering
    your destiny so tell me whats a little rain

    Holy, holy, holy
    Holy, holy, holy
    is the lord God almighty
    is the lord God almighty
    I'm forever singing

    everybody singing
    Holy holy holy
    you are holy
    you are holy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me crying too from your beautiful story. Thanks for sharing this window into your day yesterday. Hugs and prayers! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your difficult, but joyful day with us. God will continue to bless you and sustain you as He has promised. You have experienced what David writes about in Ps.31:11 "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing. You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness".

    ReplyDelete
  6. "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:19 Wow...your message sure brings this verse home. God knew what you needed and He provided it! I am thankful that you are able to see His hand at work...hang in there and know we love you and keep you and yours in our prayers!
    Ward and Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki,
    I am glad I am not alone in my tears! What an amazing testimony of tenderness and love between a husband and wife. I am touched beyond words. God's timing is so perfect with the MRO event. His providence is astounding. Thank you for sharing such a personal time with all of us as we journey with you and get to experience God's grace with you!

    Love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. The strength God keeps providing you with in your daily struggles thru other people is amazing! Thanks for sharing such an intimate moment with us. I am honored to be praying for you thru this difficult time. Continuing to pray....huggs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story even makes grown men cry (Dave). It is so encouraging to see how God is surrounding you and Mason with blessings and love. You quoted Proverbs 31. The beginning of that chapter describes the woman as virtuous. I heard yesterday from Jenny Cox who just learned in her Bible Study that the Hebrew word for this is the same that was used for Joshua to tell him to be strong and courageous. The Hebrew is really talking about a strong brave woman. That fits you baby!

    ReplyDelete