Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Living With Cancer

I met with the oncologist on Monday. He reminded me that he never promised to be able to destroy all of the cancer, he has always told me that my disease is incurable. He has always held the hope that he can contain the cancer, it is a chronic disease that he will treat, much like a diabetic can only be treated, not cured. He said, "Vicki, you have cancer running through your body, how do you feel?" I feel fine, and that was his point. I have to learn to live with cancer. While I am somewhat ashamed of the fact that as a Christian, I had to receive a pep talk from my doctor who does not seem to know my Lord, I was expecting a miracle. I know my God is a God of miracles and He is capable of destroying this cancer in my body. For now, however, He has chosen not to. He is still good, and He still loves me, and He is righteous in all He does. My Father has never left me, and will not let go of me no matter how many temper tantrums I throw! Praise be to Him, Who is worthy of all my praise. For now, I had my first monthly infusion of Zometa (?), a medicine given to osteoperosis patience for bone strength, given in HUGE doses to me to help counter the negative effects of the cancer on my bones. The side effects are aches of the bones for a day or so. It was a rough day today, I truly felt like an old lady! I have a consult on Monday with a radiology oncologist and will hopefully begin my radiation in a couple of weeks. Dr. Limentani is running some blood tests in an effort to determine if I am pre or post menopausal, it matters because he needs to know which medicine to give me for long term stabilization of my cancer which is estrogen fed. Mason said it would have been nice if I could have gotten cancer at a earlier or later time so that this would not have been such a difficult decision. I reminded him that God's timing is perfect and I trust that He will direct Dr. Limentani. For now, I will trust that God will complete His good work that He has begun in me and that I will learn to live with cancer. Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement. Mason kept telling me last week that God would restore me, He did in September and He would again. When I sat in church on Sunday, singing His praises with this beautiful body of believers, I could not help but be in awe of Him and all that He has done for me and my family. This will be a crazy journey, full of ups and downs, but God will sustain me. When I fall, He will pick me up. Please continue to pray for my peace and for Mason as he has his hands full! The travel is hard, and his leaving last week was one of the hardest things we have faced in this battle. I am blessed to be here, surrounded by my sweet kids and our church family. Mason has to leave every week so please pray for him and that God would fill him with His Spirit of peace and trust. Please continue to pray for Jillian, Mason Thomas, Alex, and Madi. They have been incredible but I do not take that for granted, and ask that you continue to hold them up with your prayers. Please pray for wisdom for my doctors as they have to make decisions regarding my medication and radiation treatments. And please continue to pray for my healing, I still believe in His miracles! I leave you with a beautiful verse that God gave to Mason last week as a comfort to me, and it was. Zephaniah 3:17 "The LORD your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."

1 comment:

  1. God is good!! I am so thankful that He continues to minister to your heart and that you continue to find your rest in Him.

    As I read your post, the words of Psalm 18 came to mind... I won't post it all here, but it is an amazing Psalm... How God responds when His beloved cries out for help is incredible... And then David says, (verses 16-19)

    "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy,from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster,but the LORD was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me."

    Every single time I read that, I just marvel that God Himself reaches down from on high and lifts us up... So thankful that He is leading you back to spacious places!!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete