Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Radiation: The Sequel

I received my first radiation treatment today. It was not uneventful; I am receiving a lot of radiation and they are, thankfully, being meticulous in the angles and numbers. I was there for over two hours yesterday, and for about two hours today. I laid on the table with my arms over my head holding on to a bar, as they arranged the machine, took xrays, and rearranged the machine. They are trying to cover all the areas I need to be covered, and still protect my heart and lungs. My chest has so many drawings on it, I look like I am wearing a treasure map! I am doing well; Mason asked me if I was scared. I really wasn't. The ceiling in the room where I will receive my treatment everyday has a stained glass art above the table where I lay. Yesterday, as I was settling in on the table with all of the instructions and gadgets surrounding me, I looked up and could see, peaking out around the big machine directly above me, a branch and vines. I was so thankful for the calming reminder from my Savior that He is with me always. (John 15:5) After about thirty minutes or more, the big machine moved to the side a little, and straight ahead of me was a beautiful butterfly, in garnet and gold! (for those who know me well, you get the personal touch via the FSU reminder!) Mason and I did a Bible study called the 'Truth Project' last year. The leader spoke of times in his life of trials or wrestling with God as being in a cocoon and struggling to get out. What emerges after that intense struggle is a beautiful butterfly. It is my prayer that this journey, which I have struggled so much in, will graciously free me as a beautiful butterfly; free to joyfully trust and serve my God, beautifully equipped for whatever He calls me to. Today I am thankful for the wonderful privilege of knowing my Savior and being able to turn to Him in complete trust. I am thankful for His hand in all of this, that is guiding the beams of light to the cancer cells while He protects what is good. I am thankful for the many prayers from all of you, and many more, for me and my family. I am thankful for God's obvious presence in Jillian, Mason Thomas, Ally, and Madi. I am thankful for Mason and for his unwavering love and support, for his calm in all of my chaos. I am blessed by his faith when mine is weak. Please continue to pray for my children, for Mason, and for my peace and healing. Please pray for the radiation, for the precise set up and for it to do it's job, for the wisdom and focus of the doctor and the staff who will be working with me. Also, please continue to pray for Dr. Limentani, as he makes decisions about my continued treatment. Thank you all for hanging in there with us on this very long journey. 1 Timothy 1:12 "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that He considered me faithful, appointing me to His service."

2 comments:

  1. We keep you and your family in our prayers. You are an inspiration to many of us...hang in there and know we love you. BTW I hope to see you soon...I will be calling!!
    Love you-Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman that has so much strength. I am glad that you are always remembering that God is in control. We are praying for you Vicki. <3

    ReplyDelete