Thursday, January 28, 2010

Feeling Better

I was reminded today that I have not written in a while. I am feeling much better, every day brings more normalcy. I love God's word and I love to lead Bible studies. I have not been doing that over these past few months because of the chemotherapy. In November I volunteered to teach a marriage class with a friend at church. I thought that it would be a piece of cake, January 22 was almost two weeks after my last chemo and I would be fine. Well, it was not easy. I was really wiped out after that last treatment and was so thankful that I was not teaching the class alone! My friend and I were comical, she is even older than me (by a little, but it counts!), and is going back to school. Her first week back was the week before the class. God is good, and in spite of all of our inadequacies, the class went well and He was glorified. It was good to be productive again. In spite of the struggle of pulling something together through fatigue and heart burn, it felt good to be doing more than surviving. I lead the women's weekly Bible Study at church this week. It felt good to be doing that again, and it was the same joy of giving in service rather than receiving. All that being said, it took all of my energy to be able to lead in those classes. Now it is Thursday night and it was a very busy day. I am feeling so much better, I really can forget that I have cancer as I enjoy the quiet leading up to my surgery. I will let tomorrow worry about itself and trust in the Lord for today, enjoying His peace. Mason leaves next week, as the season is quickly approaching. He is returning for a few days the following week to come to doctor appointments with me. I have a CT scan next week, then Dr. Limentani on Feb. 8. I believe he will go over the plan for radiation and beyond. I have a consult with a plastic surgeon on Feb. 9, please pray for wisdom and peace as we explore my options for reconstruction. I see the surgeon on the 10th for my pre-op visit, and the anesthesiologist on the 11th for pre-op. I am scheduled for surgery on February 18th. So far I am very calm as the date quickly approaches. Please pray for my continued peace, as well as for Mason and the kids. Jillian will be driving home on the 17th to be here for my surgery, and Alex will be flying home the following week to be here when Mason has to travel for a race. Pray for wisdom and discernment for all of the doctors and medical staff involved. There will be a pathologist in the operating room to determine how many lymph nodes will be taken, pray for that process and decision. Thank you all for hanging with us through this journey, your prayers and encouragement have helped to carry us. I am so very thankful for the crazy normal that is creeping back into my life and our home, and for my returning strength and energy. I turned 50 this week. That can be a difficult birthday for women, especially when it is surrounded by so many medical appointments! For me, this has been a week of celebration; Mason Thomas said it was "Mom's Birthday Week of Fun". What a blessing to be reminded in such a special way of how loved I am, how much I have been rescued from, and what a gracious and merciful Savior I serve! 1 Peter 5:10 "After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you."

2 comments:

  1. What an encouraging post!! God is good... Hope and joy in the midst of a terrible storm! You are teaching us all so much!

    Love and Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki,
    I was so bummed that I missed your bible study teaching last week! And I did all the homework! :) My car was in the shop. Ugh. I am so glad you've been able to do the things you love again. We sure miss you leading us in study. I hope you can come back again. I will pray for you and all your upcoming doctor appointments. As always, thanks for sharing your journey with us. God really uses you. I hope to see you sometime soon! Love, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete