Tuesday, July 29, 2014

GOD 2, cancer 0!

So thankful today for good news of God's healing power! My scan showed everything is normal that, only three months ago, was either invaded by cancer or showing the stress of the cancer! Normal! After the doctor left the room, Mason held the report in his hand. Normal. Normal. Normal. Chest. Abdomen. Pelvis. All normal. More than I could ask or imagine! The lesions on my bones remain, but unchanged from five years ago. I am so amazed, so thankful, so blessed....

The last couple of weeks have been difficult. You write one little blog about God's peace, and the enemy has his minions all over you!  I have been tired, never really feeling well. 

God put me in Philippians. Comfort and encouragement, right?

What hit me was this. 

(Philippians 2:3, 4 ESV)
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 

Conviction. I persevered, read on. Asked God to search my heart....

(Philippians 4:1 ESV)
Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. 

Wow.... I want to love God's people with the depth and passion that Paul loved. "my beloved". Don't you think of that as a love for your spouse, maybe your children? Paul loves God's people with a special, deep love. He longs for his fellow Christ followers! He counts their faith his joy and crown! That seems to imply that he is personally invested in each of them, whether stranger or friend. Okay, so God allowed Paul more of a capacity to love than those of us who are raising a family. Maybe. But I think God expects much from us because we have been given much. 

(Philippians 4:13 ESV)
I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 

We have Jesus! We have His example of perfect love. We have the Holy Spirit!!!

As I was waiting to see the doctor this morning, I saw a woman who was arriving for a biopsy. It brought back vivid memories. By the time a woman gets to the biopsy point, she has been through several steps of inconclusive tests.  I remember leaving the follow up ultrasound after my inconclusive mammogram; another inconclusive test meant I had scheduled an appointment for a biopsy. I saw Mason in the waiting room and just motioned for him to follow me out. I was exhausted, emotionally drained and full of fear. When we reached the sidewalk, I collapsed into his arms crying. I haven't thought of that day in a very long time, God has grown me and strengthened me so much since then. I am thankful that He never gives up on me, that He loves me enough to want me to be all that He has for me. 

(Philippians 1:6 ESV)
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. 

My strength of soul has increased, just as He promised. 

(Psalm 138:3 ESV)
On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased. 

Today, as I sat waiting to see the oncologist, I prayed for that woman. Fear didn't set in, I had peace. But my heart ached for her. Does she know Jesus? Will He show her His perfect peace? I pray He does, I know He can. Mason and I rode with her in the elevator later, after her biopsy. No peace. I stood there in silence as she stared at her feet, deeply breathing in and out. Searching for peace in the breathing. I know that Peace she was searching for. I stood there. Silent. Paul would have told her about that Peace. 

I have had a difficult time with this post, trying to pull it together. So I turned to my family for a conversation. The girls asked me if my conviction was to love those close to me better. Yes!  Or, was it to love the lost stranger so much that I am compelled to tell her about Jesus? Yes!  Does it have to be one or the other?

(Philippians 1:18-24 ESV)
What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. 

Paul loved both well, those in his close intimate circle, as well as the larger Body of Christ. He loved the lost. He ached for all to know Christ, to live a life empowered, that reflected the glory of God. That love looked different, lived differently, but always was the reflection of God. 

Paul prayed, and knew the benefits and empowerment of prayer. I know that power. I have been healed, comforted, and empowered by prayer. I have been lifted up from the mire through prayer. 

Paul used words to encourage his brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus. He mentored one on one, as well as the masses, through his preaching, teaching, and letters written. 

Paul knew God well, and understood that he was here to glorify God in every way. In his suffering, in his prosperity. As a tent maker as well as a prisoner. As a preacher, a teacher, a mentor, and a member of the church. 

Paul had a strong faith. He knew that God will be glorified, no matter the heart behind the life. Are there false teachers? Of course. Is there evil in this world. Yep. Do people who love Jesus, who really live for Him, make mistakes and mess up? Oh yeah.  Does disease and hurt effect God's people? Too much. But God is on His throne, Jesus sits at His side. We are still battling. I can do better, we all can. But the victory is won. And....praise God, not by us!!!! 

Paul knew this. He always looked up, looked to God. He had the confidence of knowing God, knowing his purpose, knowing the power of Christ in him. 

Today I am thankful for God's powerful healing. I am thankful for His faithful love as I look back and see His loving hand in every success, tear, joy, and storm. I am thankful that I have a purpose that is greater than me. That He has put me here for His glory, that I am healed for His good purposes. I am thankful for His love that loves in spite of my failings and many imperfections. That He sees me through the cleansing blood of Christ, my Savior. 

I will continue to tell His story, knowing that He will continue to sanctify me through this journey. Maybe I will be given another opportunity to share His story with that woman in the elevator. Maybe I'm just supposed to pray for her. Either way, God is in charge and I can't blow it!

Thank you all for praying for me and my family, for being the hands and feet of Jesus. I promise to pray for you. To love you. You matter deeply to me. We are all in this together. One body. One purpose. Read Philippians and let His Word challenge you as your strength of soul, and love, is increased!

No comments:

Post a Comment